Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How Was Your Holiday?

"How was your holiday?" Makes for a great conversation starter. Even if you don't care, it makes it seem like you actually do. Chances are good, whoever you're asking will reply with "Pretty good, yours?" A quick exchange of post-holiday formalities. But this year...this is where I bring them down. I don't mean to, but I mean, you asked, didn't you?

I usually reply with "Not great..." and go from there with a story I couldn't even make up if I tried.

My Grandpa passed away in mid-December, which put a giant damper on things. I won't get into too much detail right now, I'll save my thoughts for their own post in the near future. But that set the tone for a less than stellar Christmas season.

I flew into Leduc on Christmas Eve Day. I got picked up at the airport at 8am, and was put to work as soon as I got to my mom's place. Which was fine, it helped take my mind off things. I got the turkey in the oven, and I mean, after only an hour or so in, it looked fantastic! I wish I had thought to take a picture when it was done. The stuffing inside was awesome too. Yeah, we're one of the families that stuffs our bird with home made stuffing (screw stove top) without fear of salmonella, botulism or communism...whatever it is you're supposedly at risk for. I also took on the jobs of veggie dip, mashed potatoes, yams, the mushroom/pea cream sauce, the lemon meringue tarts...there was SO much food, as you can see, and we only had nine for dinner. And a dog. He was equally pleased with the spread. A few hours before our ginormous dinner, I had planned to take the cabbage rolls to my brother's place since he only lived a few minutes away. I got a text from a friend that said "What's going on with the hostage situation in Aspen Creek??". I'm sorry, what? Aspen Creek is my mom's sub-division. All the details can be found on CTV Edmonton's website.We put the cabbage rolls in an hour before dinner and all ended well. Except I gained like 15lbs over the holidays.

How was your holiday?

1 comment:

  1. We stuffed out bird this year, albeit with Stove Top (hee hee). No illnesses due to communism though!

    ReplyDelete