Monday, January 17, 2011

Debt

What a dirty, four-letter word. Have you ever taken the time to see how much debt you actually have? And at what interest rates? It'll astonish you, that I can tell you. Unless you're one of those smart people who know how to manage your money. If you're one of them, good for you. Some of us aren't as lucky. I was young and although I understood it wasn't "free money", debt repayment wasn't something I was going to worry about until later. Looks like "later" is right now. Tomorrow I get to meet with my bank and ask for a shit-ton of money for a consolidation loan. I just crunched the numbers, and it's kinda scary. Not as bad as a lot of people I know, but I'm not happy. I've been reading some of Gail Vaz-Oxlade's Q & A on her website. I also know from watching her show "Til Debt Do Us Part" that it's so pivotal to get this paid off now. I'm 25 and have just over $17,000 in debt. This includes credit cards, student loans, a car loan and a couple other things. I'm not ashamed by any means, but I'm hoping that putting it out there into the virtual world will help me get accountable and get me paying this off. Though I'll be honest, it'd be easier if I could just get a big ol' cheque from the bank and pay them instead. I'll be praying to the money-gods tonight. If you have any stories or tips to share, please feel free to post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment