Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving....I Love My Career

HAPPY THANSKGIVING!!!!!


Man I love Thanksgiving. I get to spend time with family and friends, eat turkey and all kinds of goodies, drink a little, and not have to buy any presents. This is my favorite holiday, and the one I look forward to the most! I'm thankful for my family and loved ones, my job, the listeners, and everything in my life right now. I feel very fortunate.
Today I dine on the usual thanksgiving goodies. I'm very excited for some REAL food. I've been living on my own for a couple weeks, and I sure miss my aunt and uncle's cooking. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook and I'm good at it....it's just my cooking hasn't been that great when all I'm eating is frozen veggies, chicken breasts and apple cinnamon cheerios. Well that's half true. Anyways, I have family coming up from Edmonton and Calgary and I'm excited to see them, especially since I won't see my immediate family at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Last night my roommate and I watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving and A Garfield Thanksgiving It warmed my heart. I love those shows from my childhood.



So I'm an announcer at a radio station. And I get some really interesting callers. I have one lady who is a HUGE Julian Austin fan. Which is great. Julian is a WONDERFUL man. And a great artist, and dare I say, one of the most patriotic Canadians I've ever met.

 Anyways, I wish I knew her name, but I do love it when she calls. She's always in a great mood and she's always full of energy. She's one listener I look forward to meeting one day.

Then there's another caller, Dave. He's great to talk to. Always friendly, and doesn't keep me on the phone too long.

There's another man who's called 2 weekends in a row now, and he's from Stony Plain but drives truck all over the Peace Region, so he's always listening to my station. He's fairly knowledgable about music and artists and I don't mind talking to him when he doesn't go on and on and on and on.... But yesterday I had the weirdest call of my radio career (the whole 2 years of it thus far haha). A woman called and off the top gave me her name, number, address, and kept babbling on. At first I thought she won a contest and was trying to prove who she was. But then she started saying how she needed me to call Amnesty International on her behalf, because they've blocked her calls and she's so scared to live in the city she lives in with all the murders that happen there, etc etc. She kept going till finally I got the opportunity to jump in and say "Hey! Do you know you're calling ________ radio station?" and she goes "YES! You're the only one who can help me!" and then continued to ramble on. She wouldn't get off the phone with me unless I gave her a number. So I gave her the newsroom number, since I felt the Fun Phone line wasn't going to go over well. After I FINALLY got her off the phone, I immediately called our news guy and gave him the heads up and apologized for giving her their number. But maybe news can do a story on crazy people in the Peace Region and how the health care system failed them...or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment